Monday, December 1, 2008

Festival of Trees

At Blank Children's Hospital, our largest fundraiser each year is the Festival of Trees and Lights. It raises money for our Child Life and Outreach departments. This year was the 25th anniversary of the event. While I do not necessarily plan the event, my job is to promote the event...and one way we do that is thru media partnerships.

So the CBS affiliate in town supports us and broadcasts live their 5 p.m. new program from Festival on opening day. For one of the segments, the producer wanted to do a "demonstration" of some sort...so I decided we should promote the children's activities at the event. That required some children to do the demonstration. So what does a PR girl do when she does not have children of her own to do the segment? She recruits her niece and nephew...who coincidentally have been attending Festival for a number of years and love the children's activities. Unfortunately, Max was not feeling well that day so I recruited a co-worker's son to fill in. Below is Mollie and Griffin getting pumped up to be on TV. And below is Mollie and Griffin starting the demonstration just before the segment went live on TV. I also recruited my co-worker Julie to do the interview since I was feeling quite round and didn't exactly want to be 8 months pregnant and on the highest rated TV station's news in the market. Thanks Julie!
Another funny from that night...our first segment was an interview with our main fundraiser and the VP of marketing from our presenting sponsor. Well, their interview was at 5:03 p.m. At 5 p.m., our sponsor was no where to be seen. We had just talked to him the night before confirming he'd be there. At 5:01, still no sign. At 5:02, I see him walk in - across the convention complex. So I literally run over to him and tell him he needs to run with me in order to make the interview. Together we run back to the broadcast site...and within 10 seconds he was on air. Ah, the joys of live TV! He did his best to not sound out of breath during his interview. And after the interview, we all had a good laugh.

No comments: